I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
The Downtown Barrie Business Association (BIA) has partnered with the Barrie Police Service, the Women & Children’s Shelter of Barrie, the Salvation Army, Shak’s World and the City of Barrie to make downtown Barrie even more inviting.
Born out of a safety audit that followed a concerned citizen’s experience of feeling unsafe in the downtown, the Bright Spot project was created. Community partner agencies worked collaboratively to identify areas of concern and took action. The Bright Spot project is similar to the well known Block Parent project and provides safe places for the public to go if they are feeling unsafe.
Participating downtown businesses have undergone training on how to handle unsafe situations and are prepared to assess the situation and determine the next steps. Business owners can call police, help arrange a ride, or just offer a place to wait till a friend arrives. To find the downtown’s Bright Spots, look for these signs in the windows of participating businesses.
Downtown Barrie businesses that have completed their Bright Spot training include:
– ZuZu Fashion Boutique (25 Dunlop Street East)
– Olive Oil Co. (45 Dunlop Street East)
– Sandbox Centre (24 Maple Avenue, 2nd Floor)
– BE Beauty & Wellness (150 Dunlop Street East, Suite 201)
– P_zza (50 Dunlop Street East)
– Our House (55 Dunlop Street East)
– Shak’s World (59 Maple Avenue)
– Barrie Public Library (60 Worsley Street)